Eat, drink and be merry with your sporting mates
The Caxton Street precinct is synonymous with sport, thanks to the mighty Suncorp Stadium sitting on the edge of this pumping entertainment hub. Add to the experience of the Brisbane Global Rugby Tens by enjoying a drink and meal at one of the many bars and restaurants within the entertainment hub before or after the tournament.
Food is something we take seriously in Brisbane. From spectacular alfresco riverfront locales to cosy restaurants and pubs, our food scene has the offering and sophistication of a global city, combined with Brisbane’s famous warm and welcoming atmosphere.
Keen for some post-match revelry? Several of Brisbane’s bars have just been hailed the best in the country at the 2017 Australian Bar Awards – and two are right outside Suncorp stadium.
Mingle with the locals for a lively night at Lefty’s Old Time Music Hall, crowned Best Live Music Venue, or sample the fare at the New Orleans-inspired Seymour’s Cocktails and Oysters, which took out the Bar Food of the Year award.
Over in the CBD, The Gresham serves up top-notch rum, whiskey and wine with a sophisticated yet welcoming vibe that no doubt earned it the Bar Team of the Year award. Cheers!
Activities for all
The great outdoors
Brisbane is best enjoyed with the grass beneath your feet and the sun on your back, so why not:
- Cycle up the Brisbane River, then catch the CityCat back down
- Walk through the City Botanic Gardens and dine alfresco along Eagle Street Pier
- Climb the Story Bridge and abseil down the side, James Bond-style
- Run the 107 steps at the Kangaroo Point Cliffs or just enjoy a barbecue overlooking the city.
High culture, no pretention
Experience the city’s festival buzz when you:
- Head to South Bank, which boasts markets, bars, restaurants, live performances and Australia’s only inner-city beach
- Watch Broadway shows and explore the museums and art galleries of the Cultural Precinct
- Wander Gallery of Modern Art, Queensland Art Gallery or Queensland Museum
- Discover independent dance, theatre and comedy in Fortitude Valley’s eclectic performance spaces
- Shop in boutique-filled inner-city boroughs.
Get outta town
There are plenty of decidedly un-city places to explore within a short drive of Brisbane. You can:
- Hand-feed wild dolphins on Moreton Island or camp on the beachfront at North Stradbroke Island
- Swim, surf, snorkel, sand board or four-wheel drive on one of Moreton Bay’s islands
- Indulge in locally produced wine at a family-run vineyard
- Hike through national parks and get high in the mountains of the Scenic Rim.